Cascina Garitina Barbera d’Asti Bricco Garitta 2007, DOC
I am a hunter. I move stealth-like down rows of wine bottles, stalking the bargain, hunting the interesting wine. Friday nights are especially good for that purpose: few people, lots of prey.
I spot a solitary bottle, a one of a kind, defenseless, alone…I move in for a closer look: a bottle of Cascina Garitina Barbera d’Asti Bricco Garitta 2007 sits unaware.
I pounce, pay for the wine, and head back to the den with my prize 😉
Tucked away in the hills around Castel Boglione in Italy’s Piedmont, the family-run estate of Cascina Garitina allocates 70% of their 13 hectares to Barbera from which it produces the estate’s most important wines: a Barbera d’Asti normale and two Superiore bottlings. The remaining 30% is allocated to Dolcetto, Pinot Nero, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Brachetto, accounting for an array of four other wines which the estate also produces.
At Cascina Garitina, the effort to produce high quality fruit begins in the vineyard with short pruning, green harvest, and controlled grass growth. From vineyard to cellar to bottle, the family remains “hands on” involved to ensure quality from start to finish.
Cascina Garitina Barbera d’Asti Bricco Garitta is made from 100% Barbera grown in medium clay soil of southwest exposure at 280m altitude. Fermentation is carried out for approximately 20 days after which 10% of the wine is aged in barrique for six months, the balance held in vats until both are brought together in bottle to mature for another six months.
Tasting Notes / Impressions:
To say Cascina Garitina’s Barbera d’Asti Bricco Garitta is good Barbera would be insufficient: it’s Really good. Although a basic Barbera bottling, it absolutely poured through my senses with vibrant intensity. Gorgeous ruby and pomegranate in color, the wine conjures up scents of pure, clean dark berry fruit against an arousing background of smokiness accented by a hint of spice. In the mouth, the wine gives a sense of fullness with good concentration of fruit flavor, impressions of cocoa and herb. Strength, character, good structure and superb acidity are all on this wine’s curriculum vitae. A satisfying, nicely balanced finish.
Food Pairing Suggestions:
MEATS: slow cooked beef or veal stew ; roasted chicken; cubed ham salad with mayonnaise and pickled vegetables; herbed beef, bison or turkey burgers cooked on the grill; PASTA: gnocchi alla fontina (potato gnocchi with melted fontina cheese), cannelloni stuffed with veal, prosciutto, parmesan served with béchamel sauce; fettuccine with ham and cream; your choice of pasta served with a fresh tomato sauce; POLENTA: served with a béchamel leek sauce; RISOTTO: with butter and parmesan cheese; VEGETARIAN: classic Piemontese Bagna Cauda; spaghetti “integrale” with bread crumbs, parmesan, and walnut sauce; risotto with butter and parmesan cheese; “minestrone” soup w pasta, beans, vegetables; CHEESES: generally speaking, go with medium aged cheeses, but, I loved this wine with French Camembert and Chevre; CURED MEATS: especially Mortadella with pistachio.